This summer month we are talking about bugs, sun, and fun. Don’t miss the posts on, “Bug Bite 101: 10 Top Tips to Do First”, “How to balance sun exposure with sun protection” and “Bikram Yoga and the crazy benefits of sweating your a@@ off.”
My Aunt Sandy would make some awesome desserts. One of which is strawberry kiwi salsa. She had some downright complicated recipes but this isn’t one of them. This one is full of summer fruit and fun. I can’t think of summer without strawberries and the benefits you get from this fantastic fruit is off the charts:
- They are full of antioxidants. Remember that antioxidants can help prevent cancer and cell damage.
- Strawberries are rich in potassium which helps maintain proper blood pressure in our eyes and blood vessels. Potassium increases blood flow to the brain and also helps concentration and memory.
- High in vitamin C, strawberries can help the immune system stay strong. Did you know that sugar competes with vitamin C receptor sites? That means in the presence of sugar you will block the ability for vitamin C to bind and that will, in turn, impair your immune system. We don’t make vitamin C so we have to get it from the foods we eat and strawberries are chock full of it.
- They have a variety of flavonoids like folate, quercetin, and anthocyanins. Flavonoids reduce inflammation and help protect against cancer.
It also has kiwi. Like strawberries, kiwi is also high in vitamin C but it has its own wonderful benefits as well:
- High in serotonin, Kiwi helps in learning, sleep, memory, mood and regulating appetite.
- Kiwi is high in fiber. Fiber helps with bowel function and cardiovascular health.
- Digestive enzymes are another benefit of kiwi. Not only do digestive enzymes help with the breakdown of food but also helps decrease inflammation.
- Kiwi can help with respiratory health. A study published in Thorax showed that consumption can improve wheezing, night coughing and shortness of breath.
I hope you will try this fun and fruity recipe. It’s one of my favorites.
Summertime Strawberry-Kiwi Salsa
2 pints organic fresh strawberries, diced
2 organic kiwi, peeled and chopped
2 organic granny smith apples, chopped
2 organic Fuji apples, chopped
Juice of one lemon
Juice of one lime
2 tablespoons coconut sugar, honey or preserves (optional)
In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir to combine.
Serve with plantain chips or cinnamon tortilla chips.