Dry eye is uncomfortable and can get in the way of many activities of daily living. I remember the suffering that my mother-in-law went through. It wasn’t until she found an eye doctor who was skilled in dry eye that she found relief. At that time I didn’t have the information that I am going to share with you here.
Dry eye is a common eye condition which is often experienced by the elderly and even more often by computer users. Who doesn’t use a computer or some form of digital device these days? We blink less when we are looking at a screen and dry eye can occur. It can also occur from stress.
Let’s address what can help this irritating condition.
- Eye drops without preservatives are the first thing you need in your arsenal. It’s not easy to find one without polysorbate 80 which can actually cause eye irritation in some individuals. The one I recommend is Oasis Tears Plus Preservative Free.
- A good fish oil supplement tested by a third party to be clean of any toxic heavy metals. I recommend Metagenics EPA DHA 720
- GLA is another oil important for eye health. The best form is Black currant seed oil which is a good source of omega-6 GLA because it is more stable than either borage oil or evening primrose oil.
- Moist heat helps unclog the glands in the eyes that get built up with secretions and results in inflammation. This can happen from a decrease in blinking from the use of digital devices. When you blink, a film of tears spreads over the surface of your eyeball. This should happen evenly over the whole surface. The less you blink the less you have this protective and comforting coating. When these glands, the meibomian glands, get clogged it takes a certain temperature maintained long enough to liquefy the secretions. Infrared heated eye masks, like this one, not only maintain the right temperature but they can be worn while sleeping to help increase circulation, promote healing and unclog the glands.
- The nutrients lutein, zeaxanthin, bilberry and vitamin B12 in a methyl form are also important for eye health. Ocuforce by Designs for Health has it all.
- Stress management in the form of meditation, prayer, yoga or even just walking with happy thoughts are all beneficial.
I hope this was helpful and you see results quickly from this irritating condition.